Serving in the Rancho Cucamonga, California Mission

Thursday, February 18, 2016

2/10/16- Leaving Washington

On Wednesday February 10, 2016, Isaac flew to Salt Lake City to enter the MTC (Missionary Training Center).  It would be the first time he'd ever flown on an airplane.  We left the house at 3:15 am in order to get him to the airport in sufficient time for his 6:00 am departure.  The whole family plus Isaac Colson loaded into the big rig and set off for SeaTac.  On the way there, Luke got sick and filled the vehicle with the smell of vomit.  William, Luke and Dode had been sick a few days before and we were hoping not to send a sick boy to the MTC.  As luck you have it, Isaac was sitting right next to Luke when Luke got sick.

Once we arrived at the airport, found parking and Isaac got his bags checked, we had about 15 minutes before he needed to head through security.  Miriam was in tears and she went first with the hugs, insuring that Isaac was crying from the beginning.  Leah didn't understand what was going on.  She just knew that she'd been awoken in the middle of the night in order to endure a long car ride.  When Isaac asked her for a hug, she gave a firm answer, "No!"  He tried a few times but her answer was always the same.  We wouldn't let him try to hug Luke because we didn't want Luke to pass  his bug along.  We gave Isaac hugs and tried to pour two years of loving into them.  Then we stood off to the side and watched Isaac make his way through security.

I had to keep reminding myself that this would  be the last time I would be in the same place as him for two years.  It didn't even seem real.  We drove home and I kept thinking, "At this time he's taking off, at this time he's in the air, at this time he's landing".  It seemed odd for life to go on like normal while my boy was flying away for such a long time.  

Once he got to Salt Lake City, he had about three hours before he needed to be at the MTC.  We have a family friend who moved to Utah last year, Brad Fowler, and he'd offered to take the morning off work and pick up Isaac at the airport.  What a wonderful blessing.  Brad is someone Isaac did a lot of things with when he lived in Washington and he and Isaac are good friends.  I knew that instead of wandering around feeling like a lost waif, Isaac would be kept busy and kept company by Brad.  They picked up a few last minute things at the store that Isaac needed, ate breakfast and went by Brad'd mom's house so Isaac could get a hug from her (he met her last year when she came to Washington to help Brad move).  He was able to call me for just a few minutes as they were heading to the MTC to tell me he loved me and that he was doing ok.  Then, it was off to the MTC for a few weeks of training.
Isaac and Miriam

Isaac and Isaac

Dode took the photo and he was keeping a sick Luke away from Isaac

walking away from us towards security

The last time I'd be this close to him in the next two years

No comments:

Post a Comment